Climbing Alpamayo Mountain - Trekking Quilcayhuanca - Cojup - Huaraz - Perú - South América
|- Altitude Trek
||5.020m (Pass Huapi).
|* Altitude Maximum of Alpamayo
|* Recommended time of year
||May to Septembe
|- Route Alpamayo Climb
||Cordillera Blanca Peruvian
|* Starting point of expedition
||Lima – Peru - Sudamerica
|* Locations visited
||Parque Nacional Huascaran
||Adventure, Nature, Ecological
||Day: 12ºC - 23ºC
||Night: - 4ºC - 6ºC
|* Climbing Alpamayo Mountain
||early day: Tº - 8ºC a - 10ºC
Arrival to Lima.
Reception in the airport and transport to a local hotel of confidence http://www.theplacehostal.com.pe/
Transport Lima - Huaraz (bus)
We travel by bus from Lima – Huaraz (capital of the department of Ancash, 3,100m.) in “Cruz del Sur”, service bus cama (VIP). http://www1.cruzdelsur.com.pe/
Departure time from Lima 09:30am and arrival time in Huaraz 5:30pm; reception at bus terminal in Huaraz, and transportation to a local hotel.
The personnel from “Enrique Expedition Tours” will give you further information about the hiking and climbing that you will be doing here in the Cordillera Blanca.
Day 1. - Acclimatization trek to Lake Churup (4,485m). We leave Huaraz at 7 a.m. for the village of Pitec. From the village, we ascend for about 3 hours, including some rock scrambling at the top, to reach Churup Lake, a beautiful turquoise lake at the base of Nevado Churup – Hostal.
Day 2. - Huaraz / Llupa / Pitec / Quebrada Quilcayhuanca / Tambo Nuevo/ Campamento Cayeshpampa (4100m).
Day 3. - Camping at Cayeshpampa (4100m). Lakes Tullpacocha (4300) and Cuchillacocha (4625) Camping at Cuchilla.
Day 4. - Campamento Cuchillacocha / Pass of Huapi (5020 m.s.n.m.) – Mountain ravine of Cojup.
Today we walk to the lake Cuchillacocha (4625 m) at the bottom of the mountains Pucaranra (6156 m.s.n.m.) and Chinchey (6222 m.s.n.m.).It takes us about 5 hours by walk to pass the highest point at the altitude of 5.020m (Paso Huapi).From the pass we can enjoy the view to the summits of Huapi, Pucaranra, Tullparaju, Andavete, Cayesh, Maparaju, San Juan, Palcaraju, Ishinca and Ranrapalca. We descend until the mountain ravine of Cojup. At this beautiful place we camp – enjoying the summits around us.
Day 5. - Quebrada Cojup – Huaraz – Hostal.
Today we continue descend the mountaine ravine of Cojup until we reach their bottom. From here we can see the entrée of other ravines. After that we arrive at Llupa where we started our trip at the first day. From here we return by bus to Huaraz.
Logistics and preparing the technical gear for the expedition.
Day 6. - Huaraz, day in your own
The organization of personal material and logistical information for the ascent to Alpamayo South Mountain we will do after the trekking in the evening.
Day 7. - Huaraz (3090m) – Cashapampa (2900m) – Llamacorral (3760m).
We will pick up our clients directly in their hotel in Huaraz and take a three hour private bus ride from Huaraz to Cashapampa (2900m), where the donkey driver and his donkeys will be waiting for us to transport our trekking gear. From there we start the trek up the Santa Cruz valley until we reach the Llamacorral camp, where we will set up our camp.
(Elevation Change: +860m; length: approx. 4-5 hours).
Day 8. - Llamacorral – Jatuncocha Lake – Arhuaycocha Valley – Alpamayo base camp (4600m).
After a good breakfast we will leave the camp at Llamacorral and continue through the Valley of Santa Cruz. On the way we pass by the lagoons Icchicocha and Jatuncocha until we reach to the cross the Arhuaycocha Valley. From there we climb a zigzag rocky path until reaching the base camp of Alpamayo, where we will make our second camp.
(Elevation Change: +840m; duration: approx. 5-6 hours).
Day 9. - Alpamayo base camp (4600m) – Morrena – Alpamayo Col (5300m).
This day our porters are responsible for the transportation of our gear, food and camping equipment and we go to start ascending the moraine. On the way we will encounter very rocky paths and trails accompanied by polished granite rocks. After passing these rocks we begin to enter the glacial area. First we enter through easy pathways and continue down a path surrounded by deep cracks. We will then find ourselves at the base of a famous mountain pass. From there we start climbing slowly up until arriving the final climbs (60º - 65º). Climbing through the pass we will descend a few meters to our next camp. Climbing this pass we will go down a few meters further to arrive in the C1 of Alpamayo. (Camp 1 - 5300m).
(Elevation Change: +700m; length: approx. 6-7 hours).
Day 10. - Alpamayo Col (5300m) – Summit of Alpamayo (5947m) – Alpamayo base camp.
This day, starting from Camp 1, we will descend with our clients to the base of the wall. There we will reach up until the lower part of the Rimaya. In this part we will climbing a zone in great uniform slope of about 55º - 60º and we will reach a steeper part with more than 85° and 90° at a height of 4 meters. Continuing the original channel (65º - 75º), we will meet some small mixed sections until reaching the summit – after, we will return to the Alpamayo base camp.
(Elevation Change: +647m; length: approx. 10-12 hours).
Day 11. - Alpamayo base camp (4600m) –Santa Cruz Valley – Llamacorral (3760m)
This day our donkey driver will carry our personal gear, as well as mountain equipment with them. We leave the Alpamayo base camp in direction of the Santa Cruz Vallez, passing again the two lagoons Jatuncocha and Icchincocha to arrive to the Camp Llamacorral.
(Elevation Change: - 840m; length: approx. 4-5 hours).
Day 12. - Llamacorral (3760m) – Cashapampa (2900m) – Huaraz – Hostel.
We leave the campside at Llamacorral walking downhill until we reach Cashapampa, where we are expected by a bus of the Company "Enrique Expedition Tours", that will bring us directly to the city of Huaraz and our hotel.
(Elevation Change: -860 m; duration: approx. 3-4 hours prox.).
Departure from Huaraz to Lima (Bus).
Transportation from the hotel to the bus terminal "Cruz del Sur" and depature from Huaraz.
The departure time will be determined by your schedule, in the morning or night.
Morning departure: 11:00 am.
Night departure: 10:30 pm.
In Lima, pick-up, and transport from bus terminal – hotel. http://www.theplacehostal.com.pe/
Lima, transfer to airport and flight to country of origin.
*** Aim of the Expedition of Alpamayo Ascent - White Mountain range ***
The price of the Expedition Includes:
- When you arrive to Lima we pick up you to the hotel by taxi.
- 2 nights lodging in Lima (double bed, breakfast included)
- Ticket Transportation Lima – Huaraz – Lima, bus semi (VIP) http://www1.cruzdelsur.com.pe/
- Reception in the terminal from bus and transfer to the hotel reserved by us in Huaraz.
- 03 night of Hotel in Huaraz, with breakfast.
- Trekking Churup Lake
- Mountain Guide Certificate (UIAGM).
- Medicine kit of first aid.
- Porteador for transport equipment of Camping Cb - C1 Alpamayo
- Equipment of Scaling (Prudent, Aluminum stakes, visas, Spress, etc.),
- Equipment of Camping (Carp of Camping of 4 stations, Long cushions)
- Equipment of Kitchen (Hungry Carp, bath, chairs, lamp and utensils of kitchen) only Cb.
- Customized Attention of “Enrique Expediiton Tours”
- Carrier to lead the mules (1 carrier for 5 donkeys.)
- Donkeys to only transport the camping equipment Cb
- Donkeys to only transport the personal equipment the client (recommended 15 kg by person) Cb
- Cook, specialized in vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods
- Food while this in the expedition (Breakfast, Lunch, have dinner)
* Meals include: omelets, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, meat, rice (all of these are high in carbohydrates to compensate for the elevated physical activity), hot drinks (such as coca tea, which is excellent for coping with the high altitude)
* Snack includes: tea, coffee, small breads, and popcorn
- Terrestrial Transport Private Huaraz /Pitec/Huaraz.
- Terrestrial Transport Private Huaraz /Cashapampa/Huaraz.
- At the end of the Service Transfer to the Terminal of bus of “Cruz del Sur”
You take responsibility by
- Ticket de Ingres to the National Park Huascarán ($22.= USD).
- Food and drink within the city.
- Extra Days of Inn by advance arrival or delayed game.
- Personal Clothes and equipment of Scaling (trousers gorotex, dress coat, gloves, caps) - Personal Equipment of scaling (Harness, Grampones, Piotel technical, Shoe of Plantico, etc.)
- Stock market To sleep. (Preferably -20ºC.)
The price of the expedition includes:
- Bus tickets Lima - Huaraz - Lima with the company "Móvil Tours" or "Cruz del Sur"
- Pick up and transfer from the bus terminal in Huaraz to the hotel
- 03 nights lodging in Huaraz, with breakfast.
- Specialized Trekking Guide
- Certificated Mountain Guide (UIAGM).
- Porters to transport the camping equipment.
- First-Aid Kit.
- Radio and mobile communication in places that have no coverage.
- Climbing equipment (rope, snow pickets, ice screws, etc.)
- Camping equipment (mountain tent, mattress).
- Cooking Equipment (dining tent, chairs and kitchenware) only at the base camp.
- Personal attention by "Enrique Expedition Tours"
- Donkeys and carrier to transport the camping equipment
- Donkeys to transport the personal equipment.
- Cook provides vegetarian options
- Food within this expedition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
* The meals include omelets, soups, fresh fruits, avocado, pasta, meat, rice (all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for the physical effort of trekking), hot drinks (including coca leaf tea, which is excellent for the altitude). Tea provided every day (tea, coffee, biscuits and popcorn).
- Land transportation Huaraz - Pitec - Huaraz (Lake Churup)
- Land Transportation Huaraz - Cashapampa - Huaraz (Alpamayo)
You are responsible for:
- Food and drink in the city.
- Entrance to the Huascaran National Park ($ 22.-).
- Extra days of lodging caused of delayed arrival or departure.
- Personal clothing and trekking equipment (gorotex trousers, jacket, gloves, hats)
- Personal climbing equipment (harness, ice picks, crampon, helmet, gloves, sun glasses, etc).
- Sleeping Bag. (Preferably -14ºC).
Recommended mountain equipment for the expedition:
• Trekking boots.
• High mountain boots.
• Trekking socks (synthetic fibers: Colmax ...).
• Thermal socks.
• Leggings/ boot covers.
• Fine microfiber gloves.
• Wool of Fleece Gloves.
• Padded Mittens.
• Sun hat.
• Cap for the cold (fleece or other).
• Thermal and microfiber shirts.
• Finefiber sweater.
• Quilted Anorak (down or fiber).
• Waterproof jacket (goretex or other).
• Trekking pants.
• Fleece pants.
• Waterproof pants (goretex or other).
• Waterproof layer.
• Altitude glasses (with side shields).
• Backpack of 70/80 l.
• Headlamp (with spare bulbs and batteries).
• Sunscreen (lips and skin).
• Personal kit.
• Photographical equipment.
• Sleeping bag for altitude (down).
• Toilet bag and towel.
• Rubber sandals (for taking showers/ crossing rivers/ taking a bath).
• Bag with personal documents and money.
• Ice Axe.
• Automatic crampons (with antiboots).
• Jumar and descender.
If you do not have these materials we can get them in Huaraz:
• Ice Axe.
• Automatical crampons (with antiboots).
• Jumar and descender.
Ascent route to Mount Alpamayo (5,947m) – Cordillera Blanca - Peru
This program is based on the Direct French route.
Map of the expedition of the ascent of Mount Alpamayo: