Climbing Alpamayo Mountain Peru
|* Max. altitude of Alpamayo
|* Path to ascend Mount Alpamayo
|* Recommended season
||May to September.
||Cordillera Blanca - Peru
|* Starting point of the expedition
||Huaraz – Ancash - Peru
|* Type of transportation Lima – Huaraz – Lima:
||VIP bus service.
|* Places to visit
||Huascaran National Park.
|Percentage of Success
||Adventure, High mountain tourism
*Tº on the expedition.
| - Trekking
||at day: + 13ºC to +23ºC
||at night: - 6ºC to - 4ºC
| - Ascend
||early morning: - 8ºC to - 10ºC
Alpamayo and the imposing Huascaran are two of the most famous mountains of the Cordillera Blanca range, and since they always attracted mountaineers from all over the world, they constitute important points in the climbing history. To climb Alpamayo, the world's beautiful mountain.
Departure from Lima to Huaraz (by bus).
We will travel by bus from Lima to Huaraz, the capital of the district of Ancash (3100m). The transport provided by the company “Cruz del Sur” includes a “bus cama”, an overnight trip with reclined seats. http://www1.cruzdelsur.com.pe/
Departure time from Lima is at 09:30am and we will arrive in Huaraz at 5:30pm. Pick up at the bus terminal and transfer to the hotel in Huaraz is included.
The staff of "Enrique Expedition Tours" and the Mountain Guide will be informed about your arrival and will be waiting for you.
1st day.-Huaraz (3090m) – Cashapampa (2900m) – Llamacorral (3760m).
We will pick up our clients directly in their hotel in Huaraz and take a three hour private bus ride from Huaraz to Cashapampa (2900m), where the donkey driver and his donkeys will be waiting for us to transport our trekking gear. From there we start the trek up the Santa Cruz valley until we reach the Llamacorral camp, where we will set up our camp.
(Elevation Change: +860m; length: approx. 4-5 hours).
2nd day.-Llamacorral – Jatuncocha Lake – Arhuaycocha Valley – Alpamayo base camp (4600m).
After a good breakfast we will leave the camp at Llamacorral and continue through the Valley of Santa Cruz. On the way we pass by the lagoons Icchicocha and Jatuncocha until we reach to the cross the Arhuaycocha Valley. From there we climb a zigzag rocky path until reaching the base camp of Alpamayo, where we will make our second camp.
(Elevation Change: +840m; duration: approx. 5-6 hours).
3rd day.- Alpamayo base camp (4600m) – Morrena – Alpamayo Col (5300m).
This day our porters are responsible for the transportation of our gear, food and camping equipment and we go to start ascending the moraine. On the way we will encounter very rocky paths and trails accompanied by polished granite rocks. After passing these rocks we begin to enter the glacial area. First we enter through easy pathways and continue down a path surrounded by deep cracks. We will then find ourselves at the base of a famous mountain pass. From there we start climbing slowly up until arriving the final climbs (60º - 65º). Climbing through the pass we will descend a few meters to our next camp. Climbing this pass we will go down a few meters further to arrive in the C1 of Alpamayo. (Camp 1 - 5300m).
(Elevation Change: +700m; length: approx. 6-7 hours).
4th day.- Alpamayo Col (5300m) – Summit of Alpamayo (5947m) – Alpamayo base camp.
This day, starting from Camp 1, we will descend with our clients to the base of the wall. There we will reach up until the lower part of the Rimaya. In this part we will climbing a zone in great uniform slope of about 55º - 60º and we will reach a steeper part with more than 85° and 90° at a height of 4 meters. Continuing the original channel (65º - 75º), we will meet some small mixed sections until reaching the summit – after, we will return to the Alpamayo base camp.
(Elevation Change: +647m; length: approx. 10-12 hours).
5th day.- Alpamayo base camp (4600m) –Santa Cruz Valley – Llamacorral (3760m)
This day our donkey driver will carry our personal gear, as well as mountain equipment with them. We leave the Alpamayo base camp in direction of the Santa Cruz Vallez, passing again the two lagoons Jatuncocha and Icchincocha to arrive to the Camp Llamacorral.
(Elevation Change: - 840m; length: approx. 4-5 hours).
6th day.- Llamacorral (3760m) – Cashapampa (2900m) – Huaraz – Hostel.
We leave the campside at Llamacorral walking downhill until we reach Cashapampa, where we are expected by a bus of the Company "Enrique Expedition Tours", that will bring us directly to the city of Huaraz and our hotel.
(Elevation Change: -860 m; duration: approx. 3-4 hours prox.).
Departure from Huaraz to Lima (Bus).
Transportation from the hotel to the bus terminal "Cruz del Sur" and depature from Huaraz.
The departure time will be determined by your schedule, in the morning or night.
Morning departure: 11:00 am.
Night departure: 10:30 pm.
Pick up at the bus terminal in Lima and transfer to the hotel booked by us.
*** End of the Expedition of the ascend in the Cordillera Blanca Peru ***
The price of the expedition includes:
- Bus tickets Lima - Huaraz - Lima with the company "Móvil Tours" or "Cruz del Sur"
- Pick up and transfer from the bus terminal in Huaraz to the hotel
- 03 nights lodging in Huaraz, with breakfast.
- Specialized Trekking Guide
- Certificated Mountain Guide (UIAGM).
- Porters to transport the camping equipment.
- First-Aid Kit.
- Radio and mobile communication in places that have no coverage.
- Climbing equipment (rope, snow pickets, ice screws, etc.)
- Camping equipment (mountain tent, mattress).
- Cooking Equipment (dining tent, chairs and kitchenware) only at the base camp.
- Personal attention by "Enrique Expedition Tours"
- Donkeys and carrier to transport the camping equipment
- Donkeys to transport the personal equipment.
- Cook provides vegetarian options
- Food within this expedition (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
* The meals include omelets, soups, fresh fruits, avocado, pasta, meat, rice (all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for the physical effort of trekking), hot drinks (including coca leaf tea, which is excellent for the altitude). Tea provided every day (tea, coffee, biscuits and popcorn).
- Land transportation Huaraz - Pitec - Huaraz (Lake Churup)
- Land Transportation Huaraz - Cashapampa - Huaraz (Alpamayo)
You are responsible for:
- Food and drink in the city.
- Entrance to the Huascaran National Park ($ 22.-).
- Extra days of lodging caused of delayed arrival or departure.
- Personal clothing and trekking equipment (gorotex trousers, jacket, gloves, hats)
- Personal climbing equipment (harness, ice picks, crampon, helmet, gloves, sun glasses, etc).
- Sleeping Bag. (Preferably -14ºC).
Important customer information:
- Dear customers, we recommend making a reservation in advance, so that the price is more economical.
- This advance reservation is carried out 7 months before your arrival date to Huaraz.
- The reservation is made with a deposit of 40% of the total price and 60% need to be paid upon your arrival to Huaraz (Office of Enrique Expedition Tours - Huaraz.).
- After our company, "Enrique Expedition Tours" confirms your reservation deposit we will be sending via e-mail a voucher of the reservation confirmation, where we explain all the details of the itinerary follow upon your arrival to Huaraz. The money of the reservation will be deposited in a bank account of our travel and tourism agency, that we can access if you request.
- Included in the expedition are the nights of accommodation in the hostel in Huaraz included. If you want to stay additional nights in the hostal it costs $ 15.- USD per person and day. The services offered by the hostal "Waullac Inn" you can see on the website: http://www.hostalwaullacinnhuaraz.com
- The transportation Lima - Huaraz-Lima will by the company
- Cruz del sur. Web: http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe/
- Movil Tours. Web: http://www.moviltours.com.pe/portal/
in their bed service in the bus “bus cama” (VIP)
The services of the bus companies are:
• Bus with 2 floors.
• Second level / Reclinable bus seats
• Seat belts on all seats.
• Laser radar to detect objects on the road (up to 150m distance).
• Internal video cameras (control of corridors).
• Two bathrooms with chemical treatment
• Direct travel.
• Breakfast and/or lunch and/or dinner (depends on travel time).
• On board Service (Attention of Land Slides).
• Video on board with movies
• Air conditioning and heating.
• Individual reading light.
• Bingo (prize is the return of the ticket).
* Also we have an air service at our flights Lima – Huaraz - Lima
The name of the Company is "LC Peru" - HUARAZ
And the hours of the departure every day.
- Lima - Huaraz: Departure 8:15am. – Arrival 9: 05am.
- Huaraz - Lima: Departure 9:35am. – Arrival 10:25am.
- All passengers have to arrive for any route of flight an hour earlier at the airport for their respective checked luggage.
- LUGGAGE: Each passenger is entitled to 15 kilos of luggage (10 kilos for load and 5 kilos for carry on). If it exceeds this weight you are responsible to pay $1 per kilo (not including taxes).
THE COSTS OF THE TICKETS:
- The fare per person is $144.00 USA (subject to availability) For this service, "LC Peru" - HUARAZ communicate with us.
Recommended mountain equipment for the expedition:
• Trekking boots.
• High mountain boots.
• Trekking socks (synthetic fibers: Colmax ...).
• Thermal socks.
• Leggings/ boot covers.
• Fine microfiber gloves.
• Wool of Fleece Gloves.
• Padded Mittens.
• Sun hat.
• Cap for the cold (fleece or other).
• Thermal and microfiber shirts.
• Finefiber sweater.
• Quilted Anorak (down or fiber).
• Waterproof jacket (goretex or other).
• Trekking pants.
• Fleece pants.
• Waterproof pants (goretex or other).
• Waterproof layer.
• Altitude glasses (with side shields).
• Backpack of 70/80 l.
• Headlamp (with spare bulbs and batteries).
• Sunscreen (lips and skin).
• Personal kit.
• Photographical equipment.
• Sleeping bag for altitude (down).
• Toilet bag and towel.
• Rubber sandals (for taking showers/ crossing rivers/ taking a bath).
• Bag with personal documents and money.
• Ice Axe.
• Automatic crampons (with antiboots).
• Jumar and descender.
If you do not have these materials we can get them in Huaraz:
• Ice Axe.
• Automatical crampons (with antiboots).
• Jumar and descender.
Ascent route to Mount Alpamayo (5,947m) – Cordillera Blanca - Peru